Construction Permits

Construction Permits

permit applications

Before beginning your project, an application must be submitted for approval to the City of Willmar. These documents may be faxed to 320-235-4917 or dropped off at City Hall. Please note that many of these documents are in PDF format and require Acrobat Reader for viewing. Permit fees can be paid by cash or check at City Hall.

Building Permit Application
Fill out when doing any construction or plumbing work. The application must be filled out completely, with the plan provided. Fees are calculated using the 1994 UBC Fee Schedule.  Homeowners doing the work themselves also need to complete the Property Owner Waiver below. 

Dumpster Permit Application
A permit is required when a dumpster will be placed on a public street for construction purposes.

Excavation Permit Application
Required when excavation is obstructing the City right-of-way. See Right-of-Way Ordinance.
Contractors obstructing City right-of-way are required to be registered with the City of Willmar, this is a one-time registration requirement (first time only).
See Registration for Right-of-Way Excavators

Mechanical Permit Application
This application covers any and all HVAC work (Gas Furnace, AC, Water Heater, Boiler).

Property Owner Waiver
Complete if you, as the homeowner, will be completing the work yourself.

  • If you live on a lake and are doing anything near the shoreline, it's a wise decision to make sure you aren't affecting the lake environment by contacting the MN Department of Natural Resources.
  • The City of Willmar does not inspect electrical work, but licensed electricians and permits are required by the state for all wiring projects.  Be sure to contact the electrical inspector prior to any work.
  • If you are installing a fence, planting shrubs/trees, or any digging of any kind, you must contact Gopher State One Call to ensure you will not be hitting any electrical conduit, natural gas lines, sewer lines, etc.  Safety first! Call before you dig!
  • If you live outside the City limits, you need to contact Kandiyohi County for zoning and building permitting and information.
  • Mid-Minnesota Development Commission is a multi-jurisdictional agency that assists local small cities with technical assistance in surrounding counties.
  • If you live on a State Trunk Highway and are doing work near the road or want to change your driveway etc., you may need a state permit and should contact the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
  • If you wish to find out more about a contractor or to check if their license is current and there are no pending violations, contact the State of Minnesota Building Codes Department.