Predatory Offender Notifications
Since 1991, all felony level predatory offenders in Minnesota have been required to register their home address with local law enforcement in accordance with Minnesota statute 243.166. Additionally, the Minnesota Legislature passed a Community Notification Act in 1996, charging local law enforcement with the responsibility of informing the public about predatory offenders living in their community. The legislature found that, "...if members of the public are provided adequate notice and information about a sex offender who has been or is about to be released from custody and who lives or will live in or near their neighborhood, the community can develop constructive plans to prepare themselves and their children for the offender's release."
Neither the registration nor the notification laws are retroactive, meaning any predatory offender convicted before 1991 is not required to register their home address. Any predatory offender released from prison before 1997 is not subject to community notification. The offender is given a risk level by the Department of Corrections.
The following is an explanation of the levels assigned to each offender and who may be informed of their release:
- Level 1 Offender - Notification to police departments, victims, and witnesses.
- Level 2 Offender - Notification to police departments, victims, witnesses, schools, daycare programs, and similar institutions.
- Level 3 Offender - Notification to police departments, victims, witnesses, schools, daycare programs, and neighborhoods. Additional community notifications are given to tell neighbors about the offender's whereabouts and give them instructions on behavior to watch for, how to work with the police in observing the individual, and personal safety and crime prevention tips.
- Level III Offender Notification 2013-09-20
- Level III Offender Notification 2014-02-12
- Level III Offender Notification 2014-09-08
- Level III Offender Notification 2015-06-11
- Level III Offender Notification 2015-02-17
- Level III Offender Notification 2018-11-24
- Level III Offender Notification 2020-07-28