Job Title:Public Works Summer Staff
333 6TH ST SW STE 1
Willmar, MN, 56201
Base Pay:$10.08 - $11.00 / Hour
Employee Type:Part-Time Non-Exempt
Job Category:Public Works, Recreation, Summer Help
Performs non-supervisory manual, semi-skilled and skilled work with responsibility to maintain City streets, sidewalks, boulevards, parks, buildings, and other City properties. Assists Operators in performing preventive maintenance and repair on Public Works equipment. Lawn care and maintenance of City properties.
- Perform summer maintenance on streets by sweeping sand and debris, patching and filling holes, and painting curbs/arrows/crosswalks/lots and curbs/sidewalks; remove and replace damaged concrete and layout new concrete, and make repairs with various materials.
- Maintain City signs by repairing or replacing; set up and monitor school crossing lights; and keep a logbook of materials used.
- Assist Operators in performing maintenance on sanitary and storm sewer systems.
- Perform maintenance on parks by mowing and trimming grass, spraying weeds, seeding, and sodding; maintain soccer, softball, baseball, and football fields including laying out new fields maintain tennis courts; and groom sand on City beach and maintain beach equipment.
- Maintain City’s trees by removing debris from the worksite and hauling to the brush site; maintain the brush site by burning the pile and removing hot ashes; and maintain the compost pile.
- Maintain park equipment by inspecting, replacing, and installing new park equipment; and maintain park shelters by cleaning bathrooms, painting, carpentry repairs, and plumbing installation.
- Assist Operators with install, removal, and repair of beach equipment, install and maintain chain link fences, repair and place picnic tables and maintain equipment.
- Maintain wading pool by repairing and painting; perform spring set up and fall draining; and inspect daily during the season to add chemicals as necessary to comply with state guidelines.
- Put up and take down decorations such as holiday lights, flags, lights, banners, and snowflakes for various City events.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- May respond to resident’s questions/complaints concerning work being done while at the job site.
- Answer phone takes complaints, concerns, and messages.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by Working Foreman or Superintendent.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of practices, procedures, tools, and equipment, and materials used in the maintenance and repair of public works.
- Knowledge of OSHA rules and standards and ability to apply them to daily tasks.
- Knowledge of City Safety Policies and procedures and ability to apply them to daily tasks.
- Ability to perform concrete work (forming, pouring, and finishing).
- Ability to understand city maps and blueprints.
- Ability to read and understand instructions.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team without constant direct supervision.
Machines, tools, and equipment used: shovels and rakes, weed trimmer, lawnmower, sand pro., telephone, copy machine, and overhead hoist.
- Must possess a Class D driver’s license.
Majority of time is spent outdoors performing work and sometimes indoors. Regularly uses fine motor skills to coordinate eyes, hands, and feet for the operation of a variety of public works tools, machines, or equipment. Regularly uses large motor skills to exert moderate to considerable physical effort while performing a variety of movements such as bending, crouching, pushing/pulling, twisting/turning, digging, and lifting. All vision abilities and senses, with the exception of taste, may be used depending on the particular task. Exposure to irritants/fumes, temperature extremes, vibrations, infectious diseases, dust and smoke, and noise can be occasional to frequent. Must be able to work in traffic situations.
Currently, our application process does not offer applications to be filled out online. We apologize for this inconvenience. Applications and resumes can be mailed or email to the contact below.
For more information contact:
Public Works Department
801 Industrial Dr. SW
Willmar, MN 56201
Phone: (320) 235-4252
Fax: (320) 235-4917
E-mail: Kelsey Delbosque
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled