Mayor & City CouncilAbout the City Council
The Mayor and City Council are the legislative and policy-making bodies for the City of Willmar government.
- The Mayor is responsible for chairing Council meetings and making various appointments.
- The Mayor and eight City Council members are elected to alternating four-year terms.
- The City of Willmar is divided into four wards.
- Two Council members are elected to represent each ward.
- Elections are held in November of even-numbered years.
- The City of Willmar has a Council-Administrator form of government.
- The City Administrator is responsible for carrying out the directions of the Council majority.
City Council MEETING TIMES & Location
City Council Meetings are held in person at the Kandiyohi County Health & Human Services Building and also remotely, by electronic means (GoToMeeting) due to COVID-19 Social Distancing guidelines. Council Meetings can be viewed via WRAC TV on Cable Channel 189 or via our Live Stream from any computer or mobile device. The City Council holds meetings on the first and third Mondays of each month at 7:00 pm. Check the Calendar for dates and agendas for all City Council Work Sessions and Meetings.